Sunday, May 22, 2011

Kirschstreuselkuchen (Cherry Streusel Cake)


It's been awhile since I posted a dessert, and I couldn't think of a better dessert to break that trend with. Kirschstreuselkuchen is a very traditional German dessert, made with sour cream and tart, sour cherries. The sweetness of the dough and streusel contrasts so beautifully with the tart cherries. You also get a hint of sourness with the sour cream.
I got this recipe off of a German website, which I had to translate to make. Some of the measurements were very different, for example: it called for 1 glass of tart cherries. What is a glass? I don't really know, so I just used 2 cans of cherries and called them "a glass". It worked, whatever.
 

 After baking this, I realized that I had forgotten the baking powder, but I test-tasted it, and they turned out great anyways, maybe just a bit denser than if the cook had not been absent-minded.
Which reminds me, this cake is very dense, almost like pound cake. If you want it lighter and airy-er, um, sorry, go find some other recipe. :D This kuchen is baked in a cookie sheet with high sides which is lined with parchment paper. Spreading the batter into the cookie sheet can be rather frustrating, simply because the batter is really sticky. Have fun :D
*sigh* This stuff makes me so nostalgic...




Here is the recipe. Enjoy! Auf Weidersehen!

Kirschstreuselkuchen

4 eggs, separated
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups sour cream (16 oz)
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 glass sour cherries (I used 2 cans)
For the streusel
6 Tbs. butter, softened
6 Tbs. sugar
12 Tbs. flour

Drain the cherries well.
Mix the egg yolks, sour cream, sugar, flour and baking powder until smooth. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff, then fold into the batter. Spread batter onto a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the cherries over the batter, but do not press them into the dough.
Mix the sugar and flour. Cut in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture forms medium crumbs. Spread over the cherries. Put in a cold oven and bake @ 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Haha, I just realized that I preheated my oven and didn't start baking with it cold. I guess I really need to wake up! But, like I said, it's still delicious, and hubby is still raving about it :D
Next time I make it, I'll actually get the directions right and see if it tastes even better.

**Update** This blog entry of mine got an invite to be linked up to Lisa's Sweet as Sugar Cookies sweets for Saturdays link-up! I was so excited I sent my link right away. There are a ton of amazing looking sweet things in the link up party so far, I highly encourage you to go take a look!

1 comment:

  1. That is one good looking piece of cake. I love how there's cherries popping out everywhere. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweets-for-saturday-19.html

    ReplyDelete